Pizza has to be one of those classic All-American meals that practically everyone enjoys. The problem is when we start to layer the pizza with fat packed toppings like cheese galore, sausage, pepperoni, etc. Pizza is very versatile, and now toppings such as spinach and roasted red pepper may be making their way into regular rotation. Another great way to make pizza healthy AND delicious is by using hummus as the base instead of pizza sauce.
Get creative with your toppings using whatever you have on hand, or some familiar pizza favorites including:
- sweet bell peppers
- white or baby bella mushrooms
- grilled portabella slices
- roasted eggplant
- roasted squash or zucchini
- roasted red peppers
- green onion
4 pita rounds, flavor of choice
8 oz favorite hummus
toppings of choice
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Spread 2 1/2 tablespoons hummus on pita rounds and top with vegetables of choice.
3. Bake for 20 minutes and serve warm.