So, "the hankering" happened to me the weekend before last. I was standing in the kitchen after yoga, humming away sun salutations, when I realized I needed carrot cake and I needed it stat. I had a mini piece the night before at a friend's but got distracted doing yoga with the kiddos that I never really finished it (Dan did). Something about not finishing dessert screamed I need another hit, stat. I made a half batch, ate my piece, and handed out the rest to neighbors and co-workers.
If you are the majority, don't worry if that's not how you would've handled it. The truth is, most of us change our eating and exercise patterns on the weekends. More fabulous dinner parties, get togethers with temptress style tempting foods, and a complete disrupt to your routine. What's this doing to your health and weight loss goals??
If you answered, "A whole heck of a lot, thank you very much." No worries.. it is possible to eat healthfully while having fun on the weekends. ...
- Don’t Starve! Never, ever, ever go out to dinner or a party super hungry. I know this may seem like common knowledge, but plenty of people will avoid eating most of the day if there is a party or restaurant to go to that evening. If your tummy is talking, listen, and feed it! You will be doing your mind and body a favor.
- Drinks. The weekends are the best time to lounge around with friends and have a few drinks. I’m not telling you to give this up, but if you want to lose weight, you MUST pick and choose your pleasure. If you want to have ONE beer with friends, do it! Just don’t also grab ice cream, order French fries and hot wings, or have 3-5 more beers. Alcohol can truly make you lose your inhibitions, so be mindful of the munchies.
- Exercise!!! The weekends are my favorite time to get active. You can burn tons of extra calories if you double up by doing your “structured” workout and then go for a walk, play some volleyball, or hike in the park later in the day! Make it fun!!
- Eat Mindfully! Although I still want you to practice mindful eating, there are occasions where you will be eating “just because.” While there is nothing wrong with this once in awhile, if you let it compound every single weekend, you are bound to gain weight. So again, pick and choose your pleasure. If you just splurged while you were out with friends Friday night, try to be a little more conscious on Saturday and Sunday night. Just like you don’t lose weight over night, you absolutely don’t gain weight over night either (water weight aside).
- Don’t just treat yourself on the weekends! The common scenario: eat “good” all week and then ruin all progress when the weekend comes. Why does this happen? Because you do not allow yourself to honor your cravings or consume a variety of foods. Remember: nothing is “off-limits or bad.” If a cookie sounds fabulous mid week… then eat it! No emotions attached. It's not good or bad, it just may not help you reach your goals as quickly. It's all good ladies and gents.
- EAT BREAKFAST! Whether you have a family reunion in the afternoon or you drank a little too much the night before, EAT BREAKFAST! You will kick start your metabolism and have a healthy start to your day, especially if you include lots of protein and fiber! Plus, breakfast eaters usually nosh on less throughout the day and weigh less than their counterparts. If you find you're not hungry, what did you have the day before??
So, the weekend is a few days away...what will your eating habits look like?